On 30th September the Government opened a consultation seeking views on a number of policy proposals, setting out how they intend to achieve their commitment to upgrade private rented sector homes in England and Wales to Energy Performance Certificate (EPC) Band C by 2030.
The UK Government claim that the proposals set out in the Improving the energy performance of privately rented homes consultation will bring significant benefits to landlords, tenants and our environment.
How will these proposals affect landlords?
- All new tenancies from 1 April 2025 and all existing tenancies by 1 April 2028 will have to meet band C or higher on an EPC.
- Landlords will be required to have a valid EPC in place at all times while a property is let.
- Landlords will be required to install ‘fabric first’ measures e.g. insulation.
- Landlords will be encouraged to support the uptake of smart meters.
- Tenants will be able to request improvements and redress where a property does not meet the requirements.
- Landlords will be required to provide an EPC prior to a property being advertised.